Google

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

The Jump.

As most everyone knows, there is a book out by Ian O'Connor that chronicles Sebastian Telfair's "Jump" from high school basketball to the NBA. I have been given rights to post an excerpt. I think Telfair is very likely to become a great player and I am proud to have such a good kid on our team right here in Portland. I wish him the best and am looking forward to watching his career take off. The operative word here is "kid". Sebastian is only 18 years old. This is terribly young to be tossed into such a bizarre world as the NBA. It could eat him up. I hope he has good people around him. Personally I can not think of a better mentor for Sebastian than Damon Stoudamire. Laugh if you want but it's true. Damon is mature, strong in character, and he's a good veteran player. Portland must re-sign him to work with Sebastian.

I am one who is hoping that an age limit is mandated for entrance to the NBA. I think those who have made this "jump", like Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James have been extremely fortunate. However, like Sebastian, they are the exceptions to the rule. It is yet to be seen what Telfair's success will be. My feeling is that the money machine known as the NBA needs to take steps to ensure not forcing these kids in over their heads. There are also veterans to consider. The entire process needs revision. I think an age limit will cause these guys to choose college. This exactly where they need to be!

For the sake of space, I have created a page just for "The Jump" excerpts. Please go HERE to see it.
Free Hit Counters
Free Hit Counter