Google

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Zach nearing 100%

According to today's Oregonian Zach Randolph's knee is at least nearing 100%.
"...The Blazers figure they have a better chance at winning after watching Randolph tear up Tuesday's practice while showing no signs of pain in his right knee, which has forced him to miss nine games this season.

"It was like the old Zach out there today," Cheeks said. "It was like there was nothing wrong with his knee. It's been a while since I have seen him like that. I mean, today he just stood out so much, running the floor, offensive rebounding, jab stepping, going to the rim against people . . . he hasn't done that in a long time. So it makes us feel good when we see him doing that stuff..."
However, Zach says he still feels pain when he comes down from a jump. Perhaps it is wishful thinking on the part of the team and cautious optimism on Zach's part.
...Randolph, who didn't play in the Blazers' final two games before the All-Star break to rest the knee, said he didn't exert himself during the four-day break before the team resumed practice Monday. And even though he said he is better, he wouldn't give himself a clean bill of health because he said there still is pain in the right knee when he comes down after jumping.

"It feels better, but I don't want to say 100 percent," Randolph said. "It is what it is. I just know I have to start playing at a higher level to help these guys win. I know they need me..."
I hope the team is right and Zach is back to 100%. I also hope that there are ZERO trades. I want to see what this team can do as a whole. I want to see if a balance can be found and who is willing to do what it takes and accept their given role and who is not. By season's end I'd like to see a clear picture of who should stay and who should go. It will also give us a chance to see what pieces we truly need and those we do not. Then in the off season perhaps John Nash can make wiser decisions about what to do.

There seems to be a push to follow a "youth movement". I am not completely for this. I like seeing veterans on the floor. I think the "youth" in the league today are too immature to do it on their own. I would want at least Shareef or Damon to stay around. Building around Zach and Darius is a risky move at best, especially when good behavior is expected. With Telfair I do not see a problem.
"...If the Blazers don't make a trade and choose not to re-sign any of the three players with expiring contracts, their payroll would be around $54 million next season. That also would signal the franchise's intention of following its youth movement blueprint, which figures to be centered on forwards Zach Randolph and Darius Miles and point guard Sebastian Telfair..."
(all quotes from Oregonlive.com)
Free Hit Counters
Free Hit Counter