Google

Monday, February 14, 2005

Sorry seems to be the hardest word-revisited.

OK-it has been changed mildly but here it is-by request.

One simple, sincere word could have easily put this whole ordeal to rest. The word is "sorry". For some reason this word has been lost in Blazerland. The Blazer organization has instead chosen words such as "25 Point Pledge", "business as usual", "vendetta", and my favorite, "deeply disturbed".

Yesterday during half time of the Blazer/Houston game, Blazer's president Steve Patterson chose to give a television statement regarding the recent disclosure that he had been involved in working out a deal to reimburse Darius Miles the money he lost due to a suspension for telling off coach Maurice Cheeks. Patterson freely admits that this is "business as usual" but is also quick to say that it should remain private.True enough, but it didn't. I don't know about you but this sure has got me wondering what else has been kept private? I suddenly feel that I can not trust Blazer management on any level. Keeping something like this out of the public eye does not make it any more right.

When this story first came out all Steve Patterson had to do was apologize for vearing off course. I would have accepted that and probably be doing battle for the Blazer organization right now as I have fiercely in the past. Instead Patterson decided to deny the deal. He blamed John Canzano for reporting it. He cried foul. He acted as if he had been wronged. He acted self righteous. Worst of all he blamed everyone around him. Is this the behavior of an honest man? Mr. Patterson, do you really expect me to believe you?

The simplest resolution is always a sincere apology and an honest answer. It is a sentiment that allows and invites healing. It is a very simple concept. Children learn at a very early age that saying "sorry" avoids trouble and brings reward.

If Rasheed Wallace and Bonzi Wells had sincerely apologized, they would probably still be Blazers. When the local media "went after" these two, Blazer management did little to protect them. They certainly did not make television statements about how they were being misrepresented in the press. I know because at the time I was blaming the media for all of their troubles. I have since come to realize that I was wrong. Rasheed and Bonzi never apologized and they did behave badly, all the media did was report it.

Damon Stoudamire also did his fair share of misbehaving. The BIG difference is that he apologized and his actions have proven his sincerity. Steve Patterson certainly had a hand in this but Damon gets all the credit. It bothers me that Mr. Patterson is using Damon's circumstances as an excuse to make his actions with Darius acceptable. It's apples and oranges. It is also quite clear that Darius is not in the least bit sorry. Had Darius given a sincere apology to Maurice Cheeks and to the fans when this all started, I wouldn't be typing this today.

Again, the word sorry was lost.

Before this season Blazer management sent roses to ex-season ticket holders and rocky road candy to current ones as an attempt to bring healing and contract renewals. I got a box of rocky road candy with a note thanking me for sticking with them while they were on a "rocky road". I thought it was pretty corny and had a good laugh. In light of the current situation it paints a sad picture. Even then a simple sincere apology would have sufficed. Candy and flowers are often vain attempts to fix a much deeper problem, ask any woman.

Again, the word sorry was lost.

During Steve Patterson's statement last night I found myself shaking my head as I realized that this simple concept is absolutely not part of this man's modes operandi. This means it is not part of the Blazer organization's mode operandi either. It's all about public relations. Placating the public. Why can't they just be real? All I have seen is denial and crocodile tears. It's a shame. The players do not deserve this. The fans do not deserve this. We deserve a sincere apology. All Patterson did last night was make it clear that we will not be hearing that any time soon. Not from Darius and not from Patterson.

Blazer management is killing what's left of Blazer pride. They brought back "Rip City" alright, they just changed the spelling to "R.I.P. City". This is one season ticket holder that has decided to not renew their contract. I never thought I'd come to this decision based on a complete lack of trust for management. I love the Blazer TEAM and will remain a fan but I can not in good faith support their management. For this, I am sincerely sorry, or should I say "deeply disturbed"?

All I want to do is be a Blazer fan. All Blazer management does is push me away. Why does it matter so much? I'm not sure. I know that being a season ticket holder has a way of drawing a person in. My family talks about the Blazers everytime we are together, it is a part of us. We love the game and we love the team. Call me crazy but the game is supposed to be on the floor, not behind closed doors. It seems sometimes that the Blazers are "family" too. I don't like Darius being able to get away with telling off the coach. This is the crux of it. Darius needed to be dealt with harshly. He wasn't. Even thinking that he could possibly be rewarded for his outburst sickens me. Darius has yet to show remorse of any sort. Damon was fined for his transgressions and that money ended up with charity. Darius lost PAY and he gets offered a bonus (interest)?

Eh, it is too much. I'm glad the all star break is coming up. I'm awfully tired of all of this.
Free Hit Counters
Free Hit Counter