Google

Friday, February 11, 2005

Blazers Management versus the Oregonian

Things are really getting dumb in Portland. Now the Blazer management is at war with the local newspaper, the Oregonian. The "O" is affectionately known by locals as the "Daily "O", the "Fishwrapper", "Daily Zip", The "Snoregonian", and the "Gory Onion". I just wanted to post a few thoughts before I go to work and read the paper etc. Maybe there is a headline, I don't know.

Yesterday it was reported by Hoopsworld that the Blazers had decided to pull their ads from the paper in response to an article by John Canzano that exposed an under the table proposal/deal to possibly pay Darius Mile's back for two games that he was suspended for, plus interest.
This deal would then prevent being sued by Darius Miles.

There seems to be a split happening. Some fans are siding with the paper and others with the Blazers management. I must specify management because NOBODY is upset with the team. Thank goodness they are on the road right now and away from all this garbage.

I think the best thing the Oregonian can do is nothing. If they just go about their business and do not have morning headlines about this mess, it will look much better for them and make the Blazer management look even more foolish than they do now. Blazer management got caught being bad and now they are acting like children. They too should have gone on about their business.

Is the Oregonian wrong to print what it sees fit to print? The Blazers made a pledge to be good, not the Oregonian. Seriously, who cares what they write? There are people screaming about how bad the "O" is, yet they know everything that has been written. You hear "I'm cancelling my subscription". What good does that do when you find a copy to read anyway? I could go on and on but I have to get to work. What doesn't seem to be clear is the fact that a LOT of people read the Oregonian whether they like it or not. Their stories get out there. It isn't missing ads that are the issue. It may hurt financially but I doubt that much. The "O" is in a position to gain as this story builds. The Blazer management will have to spend even more money on damage control. It is all really stupid and as a Blazer fan that is VERY PROUD of my tream, I am very embarrassed. In the midst of it all, the team will suffer even more negative PR both local and nationally. ESPN and TNT watchers know what I mean.

I wish that Blazer management would grow up like the team has. I wish the Oregonian would chill a bit, but who can blame them when Blazer management keeps handing them fuel for the fire? All this is going to do is further alienate the very people they have been trying to reach. Smooth move Steve. Is this an indication why so many other of Paul Allen's business ventures have flopped?

I gotta go....
Free Hit Counters
Free Hit Counter