Google

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Blazergate

Wonderful, just wonderful. This is exactly what Blazer fans needed. I can't think of a better way to bridge the gap between Blazer fans and the Blazer organization than a shady under the table deal to reimburse a suspended player's pay, with interest!

John Canzano directed the question to Steve Patterson, asking him if there was a deal in place to pay off Darius Miles to avoid being sued by the Player's Union. Mr. Patterson flatly denied it and then made like a deer in headlights when confronted with an actual draft of the alleged deal. See picture here, it is worth a thousand words: Steve Patterson

KABOOM! POOF! There goes the Blazer organization's credibility. All the talk of making the players walk the line must not have applied to management. I am disgusted. Shame on Patterson. Shame on Nash. Shame on Darius. I've said it before, your apology meant nothing and now it is outright offensive. I am tired of all of this. Shame on anyone involved.

Coach Cheeks will likely end up being the fall guy in all of this and that is what turns my stomach. He is being pushed to the brink. He is deserving of so much more. He is the epitome of integrity and character. Maurice Cheeks is a living breathing "25 point pledge" and all the Blazer organization does is allow players to step on him and then they finish him off with a swift kick. I wouldn't blame Mo for walking away. It is a testimony to him that he hasn't yet. Shame on Patterson and Nash for treating him so poorly. Yes, I am calling you both out. Darius, SHAME ON YOU! Grow up and take your lumps like a man.

What should happen is that Paul Allen needs to stand up and take charge. I want to hear him scream ENOUGH! Patterson and Nash, with help from Miles, have turned this franchise into the laughing stock of the NBA. If you are going to boast a "25 Point - Pledge" and use words like integrity and character, you might consider practicing what you preach. It would have been better to never have had the pledge.

As for Darius, I am quite sure that Paul Allen's enthusiasm over Darius Miles has waned. Mine sure has. My hope is that this is the final straw. If I were Paul, I'd have Steve Patterson, John Nash, and Darius Miles on the next bus out of town.

To add even more curiosity to this situation is the fact that KOIN recently reported that John Nash showed up on their doorstep, uninvited, and offered to answer questions about the Blazers. They asked him various questions about Mo's job, trades. Unfortunately at the time, nobody knew about the alleged "deal". Think about it. How odd is it that Nash did this just days before today's story came out? Seems to me he was knowingly trying to look innocent. Maybe he didn't know, but somehow, I strongly doubt it.

I really hope that this is the result of some big misunderstanding. That is the hopeful positive side of me speaking. The reality side of me is asking "how much more of this are you going to take?" I am a season ticket holder. I love the Blazers. I love basketball. My love of basketball has always trumped my anger over Blazer issues. I am so much more angry over this because it is Blazer management that has failed, not players. Aside from Darius, the entire team is innocent of this one. They are behaving and playing very well and on the verge of actually making the playoffs. What more could anyone ask for? How on earth could Blazer management pull such a stupid stunt as this? Why? It is so unnecessary. It was so avoidable. How can the concept of letting the coach coach be so lost on Blazer management? What's next, another deal to avoid a problem with Zach because he isn't starting?

ENOUGH ALREADY!

UPDATE: Lawyer's respond.

UPDATE: Patterson statement. It is going to take more than this Mr. Patterson. In addition, are you SERIOUSLY taking credit for rehabilitating Damon Stoudamire? Are you serious?
Free Hit Counters
Free Hit Counter