Google

Friday, February 04, 2005

Nick Van Exel, guidance counselor.

I guess Blazer fans can take solace in the fact that it is quite possible for troubled young players to grow up. Nick Van Exel is proof of that. Today NVE finds himself being relied upon in Portland to be a veteran leader and yes, a guidance counselor. Portland seems to have had more than it's fair share of troubled players. Some improve, some do not. Look at Damon Stoudamire. He has become a crowd favorite and a very good player. Unfortunately problems still linger for the Blazers. Our most recent problem child is Darius Miles. He is young, talented and extremely immature. Immaturity has been his downfall. I see it as the root of a bad attitude. The good news is that these things can change. It is very possible for a person to learn and realize that they need to view life differently and react to it in new ways. Everyone changes as time goes by. Some people even go from good to bad. Anyway...getting off subject.
Nick Van Exel says he sees himself in Darius Miles.

...Van Exel says he has counseled Miles on his conduct all season. “He’s not going to just wake up and know it,” Van Exel says. “It’s going to be a process. Darius is a good person; sometimes he just doesn’t want to allow the coach to be the coach. … I see a lot of myself in Darius. I’ve been through it. I’m not just trying to kiss the coach’s a**. I’m trying to help (Miles) out so he doesn’t go through the same things I did.” …
Source:PortlandTribune

I hope Nick is able to get through to Darius. He is a great talent and if he'd focus, he could be the star he wants to be. Only time will tell if Darius realizes he has some growing up to do. I still think that apologizing publicly and sincerely would be a huge step forward. I don't expect to see it anytime soon. I appreciate a veteran player that is willing to invest time and experience into a young player. That tells me they think the player is worth it. It's just too bad that guys like Darius don't realize what a drain of energy they are on the people around them. For a team, it is very detrimental.

Nick may not be here much longer according to the rumor mill. I hope it doesn't happen. Knowing that NVE is at least trying to work with Miles makes me feel better about the situation. I've decided that I am in no position to hold a grudge. Mo has decided to move on, the fans need to too. Blazer fans have dealt with worse. All we really want to do is see Darius treat the coach with respect and play hard. I'm willing to let the team deal with Darius. Seriously, what else are the fans supposed to do? There is so much we can control. In the same manner, there is only so much Mo can control, we all know he is being told what to do. Two games and back on the floor simply isn't Mo's "M.O.".
Let's just hope Darius has learned at least something constructive out of this mess that he will apply next time. Sadly, we all know there will be a next time.
Free Hit Counters
Free Hit Counter