Google

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Blazers vs Los Angeles Lakers.

It used to be that a game against LA would be hyped so much that Blazer fans would be wearing red and black to work, flags would be flying on cars, "BEAT LA" signs would be taped to cars and windows, full page ads would be printed in the paper: BEAT LA! BEAT LA! BEAT LA!
Not today. It is quiet. It just isn't the same. I wish it was. How I looked forward to playing the Lakers! When the Blazer schedule came out I'd immediately plan my calendar around those games. I'd buy my extra tickets the day they went on sale to ensure that all my friends and family could be there. The thrill is gone.

I don't blame the Blazers. I don't blame the Lakers. Things have changed for both teams. As much as I dislike the Lakers, I miss the competition. I miss the rivalry. Tonight seems more like just another season game, no different than any other. No Shaq, and tonight, no Kobe. No Derek Fisher or Rick Fox to scream at for flopping. No Phil calling us "jackals". No Rasheed to terrorize Shaq. No praying that Sheed won't get tossed. Man, those were the days weren't they?

Now all I can do is go over the basics. Odom, Butler, Atkins, Mihm...who? Oh yeah, the new guys. They've been playing pretty well, all averaging double digits. Ex Blazer Brian Grant is now a Laker. This is just weird for Blazer fans since the rule is that we can not like any Lakers and Brian was so well liked here in Portland. He was our "Rasta Monsta". Although, suffice it to say he is hardly a match for our new and improved "Godzylla", Mr. Pryzbilla if you pleaze. My "homey" Brian Cook is also a Laker. I'm still not over it. I secretly clap for him, but don't tell anybody! (we went to the same school).

I look for the Blazers to have a great game tonight. I really think that the Blazers will have a great opportunity for a win. We are faster than we used to be. We are shooting better than we have before. We are not prone to technicals. Contrary to what one has blogged, our defense is better than you may think. :)

The rivalry of old may be gone but the desire to BEAT LA lives on. We need the wins. With the Lakers losing their coach, and being without Kobe, I'd say we stand a great chance to bag a win in LA.
Game Preview

UPDATE: That game stunk! I have a question, what happened to Zach? 0-12? How can that be? I expect his numbers to be down, but gone? I sure hope this is a fluke! The only bright spot was Viktor Khryapa. He has good movement and seems to anticipate the ball very well. Ilike what I saw from him. Damon, Nick and Ruben, good job as always. I haven't heard but I don't think the mystery of Rudy T. has been solved yet. It's going to be a tough one tomorrow against Denver.
Box Score
GO BLAZERS! BEAT LA!
Free Hit Counters
Free Hit Counter