Google

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

The empty locker. (UPDATED)

The Portland Trailblazers have been missing a player all season long. Qyntel Woods. He was our up and coming star, so some thought. He was mentored by Scottie Pippen early on and had very high expectations placed on him. Q struggled on the court trying to meet these expectations. Last year he was forced to play point, a move that some think crushed his fragile confidence.

Q struggled off the court as well. He was ridiculed for using his rookie card as an ID after being pulled over for a driving infraction and he didn't have his driver's license with him. He was busted for marijuana and he was often in the wrong place at the wrong time. All of this did not keep him from playing. However, when Q was targeted as being involved in the dog fighting business, he lost everything. The accusations caused Patterson and Nash to suspend Qyntel indefinately. A move not supported by some of the players or fans. You see, Q has not been charged with anything. I personally think there was a knee jerk reaction to protect our new squeaky clean image. Without a formal charge it is beyond me how this suspension is holding.

Blazer teammates Derek Anderson and Ruben Patterson, among others, have been vocal that they do not think the suspension is warranted. I can't help but wonder if this is at least one factor in why the team got off to such a bad start. It is a team distraction. Fans don't pass by that empty locker as a reminder, but the team does.

According to an article in Hoopshype, the suspension is being appealed by the NBA player's association. Thing is, what good can that really do now? Qyntel has missed nearly half of the season already! I HATE the idea of dog fighting, but I also hate injustice. If Qyntel Woods has not been charged with a crime, then the crime is suspending him just to protect your own butts. That is what I think Patterson and Nash (affectionately known as "PatterNash" locally) have done in this situation.

Meanwhile, there is an empty locker in the Blazer lockeroom. The guys have to see it on a regular basis. I can't see how this is helping anything. I was angry when this story first came out. I love animals and it upset me to think that anyone, especially one of "my" Blazers would do such a thing. Time has passed and this story has been swept under the rug. I don't know the facts but I know the rumors. It doesn't look good for Q, but if he hasn't been charged, let the kid play! It's the right thing to do.

1/14 UPDATE: Hey Dwight Jaynes. You reading my blog too? ;) Great Great point about Kobe Bryant!
Free Hit Counters
Free Hit Counter