Google

Sunday, January 09, 2005

Derek Anderson may leave Blazers to go find his mother.

When players have bad games or bad seasons it is so easy to criticize them. It is easy to call them names or say they need to be benched or traded. I am guilty of it myself. Derek Anderson has certainly heard his share of it this season. However, reality is hitting hard on one of our Blazers and it is time to realize that basketball players are human beings, with real problems.

I won't try and tell Derek's story but please go here and read this account. Then look long and hard at what he has to say now that once again, his mother is missing and suffering the effects of alcoholism.

"...My mom is drinking again," Anderson revealed Friday night.

Anderson said his older brother Steve called three days ago to say their mother, Brenda Anderson, has suffered a relapse after completing an alcohol rehabilitation program five years ago.
What's worse is that Anderson said nobody can find his mother. Anderson said he has been frantically trying to call siblings and cousins in Louisville to get updates on her whereabouts, saying that if nothing is resolved by Monday night, he will leave the team after its game in Philadelphia to fly to Louisville.


"I don't want to lose my mom -- man, I've only got but one," Anderson said Saturday night in New York, where the Blazers play the Knicks today. "I can't just let this go by and say I will take care of it tomorrow. I've got to get her in rehab. My grandmother died from alcohol, and I don't want to lose my mother to it."


"I hear the fans in crowd, saying 'D.A. you've got to do this, D.A. you are not doing that' -- they were brutal," Anderson said. "But hey man, I'm trying. I know people say I've got a job to do, and I'm trying to do it. Fans think because you have a bad game, you are not trying, but when you have other things going on, basketball sometimes becomes secondary. This is a part of our lives that people just don't see, they take it for granted. But I'm sure if their mother was sick, they wouldn't be there watching us play..."
Source:Oregonlive.com

Derek, I pray you find your mom and that you are able to bring her to safety and wellness.

1/10 UPDATE: Derek's mother has been found and she is going back to rehab. What great news! I'll post more when I know.
Free Hit Counters
Free Hit Counter