Google

Thursday, December 23, 2004

Nick Van Exel announces retirement.

"...It's done; it's a wrap," Van Exel said. "This will be my last season. I've been thinking about it for a while over these past couple months. Just getting up every morning, my body always aching -- knees, back, hip -- it just gets boring after a while..." Source: Oregonlive.com

I don't know if this will help us keep NVE for the season or not. I hope so. There has been talk that the Mavs are looking to get him back. I wonder if NVE is saying this to fend off a trade? It wouldn't be a bad tactic. I think NVE is liking his leadership role here in Portland. We need his ability to communicate team needs to the players without provoking tempers. In a world where ego plays as much a role as talent, having the ability to communicate effectively is essential. Cheeks has used this ability the past few years to keep a very valatile Blazer team together. Now NVE is using it to help players accept new roles. I said yesterday that if NVE can get Damon to accept coming off the bench, and mentor Telfair until he is ready to start, we may really be onto something here in Portland.
Free Hit Counters
Free Hit Counter