Google

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Does Dallas have anyone we'd want?

"...Sources say the Mavericks tried to concoct a last-minute, three-way deal involving Vince Carter (to Portland) that would've harvested Shareef Abdur-Rahim for them.
It's unknown what Dallas was offering Toronto. What's known is the pointless Mavs have ardent interest in re-acquiring Nick Van Exel. Or any other up-tempo floor leader who might have an inkling how to distribute shots and get Erick Dampier involved in the offense, because, obviously, it's beyond Don Nelson to figure it out..."
Source: NewYorkPost

I am aware that Peter Vescey is not the best source of information, but if this is true, perhaps Dallas is a team we can look to for a possible trade.

However, I am not so sure a trade is what we need. I think readjustment of roles could be more helpful. I think the team has improved even though we have lost some winnable games. I want to see how the team does with Reef back in the line up and Damon coming off the bench. The hitch could be over who should start, Reef or Darius. Darius seems to be more productive when he starts. Reef deserves to start. Tough call.

NVE seems to be doing well starting for us. I was impressed at his handling of replacing Damon. NVE did the right thing when he went to Damon and talked to him about switching places. On a post game interview after the Piston game NVE said that he and Damon had spent a lot of time talking it over together. Nick was able to make this transition palatable to Damon which protected team chemistry. In fact, I think it improved team chemistry. Damon Stoudamire is the reason we need to keep NVE. I am not one to bash Damon. There are those that think he is terrible. I do not. I think Damon is important to our team. However, I believe it is time for Damon to take a lesser role. He has been the starting PG for many years. This can't be easy for him but I think he can do it.

Many players do not start their entire careers. I think NVE being able to help Damon accept a bench role can be intrumental in allowing us to keep Damon as a back up PG. My hope is that Telfair takes over the starting role eventually. I like having NVE in the starting position. He's an older vet that has the tenure to stand in the middle as Damon moves to the bench and Telfair to the starting lineup. We can re-sign Damon to a lesser contract next year and he can remain a Blazer. I like Damon off the bench, he can play both PG and guard. He can take a lesson from Steve Kerr. I'll never forget him taking that bow after playing just a couple seconds and nailing a much needed 3. Why not let Damon be one of our bench shooters?

Can NVE accomplish this by February? If so, perhaps we can use this situation to our advantage. That is, if it's true at all! Remember, this is Vescey information.
Free Hit Counters
Free Hit Counter