Google

Friday, December 24, 2004

Is Zach Randolph the next Rasheed Wallace?

Today I have to voice an opinion that I know some will disagree with. I don't care. I am angry at what I see brewing here in Portland. History seems to be repeating itself. It is looking to me as if Jason Quick has chosen Zach Randolph as his next Rasheed Wallace. Here are two clips from yesterday's "Quick chat" that is featured at Oregonlive.com:

Would the Blazers consider trading Zach Randolph and keeping Shareef Abdur-Rahim?Quick's take:"After what we've seen this year, why not build around Shareef and look to trade Zach? To me...Shareef is a more complete player."

What about Randolph's defense?Quick's take:"As (Theo Ratliff) was walking off the court (in Atlanta), Theo said to Maurice Cheeks, "The guy doesn't even want to play." He was disgusted (at Zach)."
Source:Oregonlive.com

I live here. I read and hear local media. It is no secret that Rasheed Wallace was targeted by Jason Quick (and others) of the Oregonian. Rasheed was certainly not a choir boy but he also wasn't the monster that Quick made him out to be relentlessly. Quick wrote about Rasheed in such a negative manner so often that national media began to echo his words. This created a no win situtation for Rasheed. The outright meanness that resulted created the atmosphere that ultimately led to Rasheed being traded to Atlanta. I was thrilled to see Rasheed get his ring with Detroit. For me it was sort of an "in your face moment" for Rasheed and his Portland area fans that feel that he was railroaded out of town.

I am now beginning to see this very same thing happening to Zach Randolph. Prepare for much more and much harsher criticism of Zach coming out of Portland. Zach is viewed as a good player that is learning by most of the NBA fans. Pay attention to reports you hear out of Portland. Pay attention at how they begin to affect fan perceptions. Yes, it is happening again. I may get flack for this but I believe it. I honestly believe that this one "beat reporter" can not help himself. The attacks have begun. Zach may as well start packing his bags. I predict he will eventually move on, and like Sheed, he'll be wearing the bling bling while the Blazers continue to try and overcome. Thanks Jason.

You want to tell me that what Quick says is true? I agree, at times it is. The problem is how it is reported, and when. Did Theo say what Jason says he did? Probably, but remember context. The emotion of the game is often the place where little nuggets like this are mined. How Jason processes these "sound bites" leaves a lot to be desired. With a quote from Theo, the groundwork is being laid that will likely grow into local controversy which will then hinder any hope of Zach learning what his team wants from him. Instead Zach will have to spend energy fighting off the ramifications of negative reporting.

Everyone can see that the Blazers indeed have a problem with Zach and Shareef. Many fans are wishing that we would focus more on building around Shareef. I have those thoughts myself. What I do NOT agree with is attacking Zach to make my point.
Free Hit Counters
Free Hit Counter