Google

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Reef wants to remain a Blazer, but doubts he will.

"...I'd rather be with these guys," Abdur-Rahim said, motioning to his Trail Blazer teammates as they finished up practice yesterday at John Jay College. They play the Nets tonight. "I don't want to keep moving around...."

"...I'll be surprised if I'm here the whole year," said Abdur-Rahim, who is averaging 18.4 ppg through three games. "My concern is that if they were going to trade me, I wish they had done it over the summer...." New York Post

I know Shareef was upset about playing time during the offseason and demanded a trade but I sure hope it doesn't happen. He seems to have changed his mind. SAR and Zach play the same position and it has been hard to find a way to allow them both to play without forcing one out of position. This has happened to SAR far more than Zach. Zach was just signed to a "franchise" contract and that means less room for Shareef.

So far Shareef has played great basketball. I am sure this is making it harder for Nash to make decisions regarding what to do. It also makes him more attractive to other potential teams. Some Blazer fans are apprehensive of banking our entire franchise on Zach Randolph. Zach has had his share of off court issues and has already missed a team flight this season. SAR has had ZERO problems.

It's a tough call. My hope is that a way is found to keep Shareef Abdur Rahim a Blazer. If anything, Reef is showing what a fine gentleman he is in the midst of Blazer turmoil.

Shareef is a devout Muslim and this is Ramadan. Some say this is how he is able to handle this situation. This is what he has to say about his faith:

"...With anything I deal with, I feel my faith can get me through it," Abdur-Rahim said. "Whether it's an argument, or something like basketball, I just try to be the person I believe who I am, and have faith in God. I'm not a person who believes you pray, pray, pray and things will happen. In the Quran, it tells you that you have faith and then you vigorously work. So I have faith and I try to bust my tail and work hard. And from that, good things will happen...." Read more about SAR and his faith here (source Oregonlive)
Free Hit Counters
Free Hit Counter