Google

Monday, November 15, 2004

Another Blazer Turns a Corner.

Ruben Patterson has been one of the guys that people point a finger at as an example of why they refer to the team as "jailblazers". It has never been a fair assessment but no one can argue that we have had our share of troubles.

However, through trouble, people have been known to find great strength. I am inspired by those who are able to find the ability to turn their lives around. Damon Stoudamire has been an inspiration to many. Now it seems that Ruben Patterson may be following in his footsteps. This is indeed encouraging news.

The Trailblazers NEED Ruben Patterson. Derek Anderson has often been the one that troubled players turn to. I appreciate his willingness to help them. Sometimes, all it takes is a good friend.
From today's Daily Herald:

Blazers follows new trail: Troubled forward Ruben Patterson was one of the prime reasons the Portland Trail Blazers were dubbed "Jail Blazers" in recent years.
Now Patterson says he's a changed man after ditching alcohol and finding God. The transformation began this summer when he woke up with a familiar hangover.


"I just closed my eyes and said, 'Ruben, you have to stop this,'æ" Patterson said in The Oregonian. "I'm not going to lie. I was drinking a lot this summer. I was always waking up with a headache, hung over. It was taking over my body."

Patterson turned to deeply religious teammate Derek Anderson for help.
"If you look at us, you would think they shouldn't even hang together," Anderson said. "I look at it as I'm the calm guy who can calm his storm."

Source: Daily Herald
*hat tip to ABM1*

More on Ruben here. Oregonian.com

Free Hit Counters
Free Hit Counter