Google

Sunday, November 14, 2004

Is Nash Testing the Waters?

It seems John Nash does think that Jayson Williams is at least, an option. I think Nash is making these statements so he can judge reactions. I don't see how this could happen this season with the reckless manslaughter trial set for January.

"...He will be able to help a lot of N.B.A. teams as a backup," Nash, a former Nets general manager, said Friday from Portland. "With his age and experience, he could be a viable presence....

"Teams will have to weigh the risk-reward factor," Nash said. "Usually in our league, decisions are basketball-slash-financial. This will be basketball-slash-public relations. ...

"In our case, I know Jayson Williams and I know he has a good heart. He does a lot of good things without needing to beat his chest. But Jayson was also irreverent, he thought he was invincible and he had a history, even before I got to New Jersey, of being a little reckless."..."

Joe Dumars seems to think that Jayson deserves a second chance and that he may very well get one.

"..."I think sports has always been the one place where you could count on second chances," Dumars said. "I think if there's a team out there that thinks Jayson can help them, that they would sign him."..."

Suprised? It seems Jayson worked out for Cleveland as well. It is clear that the idea is being considered-and in more places than Portland.

Personally, I think this would be a major step in the WRONG direction for Portland.

Source Link: The New York Times
Free Hit Counters
Free Hit Counter