Google

Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Why didn't Portland draft Brian Cook?

In the 2003 draft Brian Cook was available at 23 but Portland picked Travis Outlaw instead. I have nothing against Travis Outlaw mind you, but Portland seems to always go for the unproven player. This has simply not panned out for Portland. Brian Cook was the Big 10 player of the year for crying out loud! Travis Outlaw was just a prospect. The Blazers decided to pass on a solid player and go with a hopeful high schooler. I never liked the pick and today I am grumbling because last night Brian Cook broke out. I pray Travis proves me wrong, SOON!

I keep my eye on Brian for 2 reasons. First Brian is from my hometown and I know his family. He is a good guy. Second, Brian is a good player and we still need help at center. I suppose we will never be able to pry Brian out of LA but if a tiny unlikely rumor that Yao may leave Houston and head for LA LA land ever comes true, maybe we can find a way to snag him. Is it Sam Bowie all over again? pssst, Ed O., you were wrong! ;)

Here is the "tiny unlikely rumor":
Chicago Tribune columnist Sam Smith (registration required): "The real question is Yao's future with the franchise--it doesn't seem as if he can grow and prosper under Van Gundy, and he could be lured away when he becomes a free agent. And don't you think the Lakers, with a big Asian population on the West Coast, have identified Yao as their future center?"
Free Hit Counters
Free Hit Counter