Google

Thursday, February 07, 2008

Portland wins another nail biter.

I went to the game last night. It was fun, albeit we didn't enjoy walking in the wind and rain from the Max and back to the Max! We actually saw lightening last night! Did anyone else see that? Odd. Anyway...

My first thoughts are that I did not like the new line up with Webster coming off the bench. I thought it seemed really awkward. I like Travis being first off the bench. Nate, fix that, K? Webster deserves to start and he plays better when he does.

I was surprised by the general silence in the arena during the first half. I am concerned that the Blazers have been playing so well that fans are already becoming complacent and "expecting" the Blazers to win. We need to remember that this team is EXCEEDING ALL EXPECTATIONS and that is reason to be loud and proud. Spoiled? Of course, when the game got exciting at the end the Blazer fans erupted with chants and cheers right on queue, myself included. The end was a nail biter and worth every bit of effort it took to get there.

Now, what I really am wondering about is JJ. Jarrett Jarrett Jarrett. What will we do with him? I like the guy fine. I know he goes to the basket at the request of Nate. I applaud his efforts. He has great moments. JJ has GOT to learn ways to hang on to the ball! I am finding it harder and harder to make excuses for his high level of turnovers. Is the level high because he is running into traffic? Roy doesn't turn it over at this rate and he too goes to the basket. Steve Nash? Tony Parker? It is very possible to not lose the ball in those situations. If he was able to hang onto the ball while in traffic he'd get more whistles and earn trips to the stripe. I am frustrated. I think a part of JJ's practice should be dribbling into the lane while the rest of the team slaps the heck out of him and keep doing it until he stops losing the ball. One thing I have been noticing though, Brandon goes to the basket a bit to the side, JJ goes straight up the middle, maybe that's the difference? I'm not mad about JJ's behind the back pass against Denver. That stuff happens. Even so, it's all good for now. I'm enjoying seeing this team blow all expectations out of the water!

It was fun to be at a game for once. I miss having my season tickets but not getting home til 1 AM was a brutal reminder of how difficult it is to maintain this routine at a 44 game level. If I lived in Portland, it would be a no brainer!

I think the team is doing fantastic! I'm planning to buy a Travis shirt and probably an all-star one as well. Yep, I'm drinking the kool-aid and I'm enjoying every drop of it!

GO BLAZERS!

Game pictures at PictureTalk.

P.S. Thanks for the Chalupa Brandon, even if you weren't trying to make the shot! ;)
Free Hit Counters
Free Hit Counter