Google

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Where have I been?

I figure I owe any possible readers I have an explanation as to why I haven't been keeping up with Blazer games. First of all, I recently moved and have been working on setting up our new home. However, this isn't the reason. The reason is that I am simply not as interested as I was. It shocks me because I am a die hard. I am known for my Blazermania. It has become something that people associate with me. Lately people ask me Blazer questions and I have to say "I don't know".

What happened? This is a question I have been struggling with. The beginning of this season was filled with hope, as every new season is. After learning of blogs during the election, I decided to start a Blazer blog. By December it became clear that this season wasn't going to be what I had hoped for. I accepted that and continued to support my team. In thinking about it, I was fine until I learned that the men managing the franchise were not truthful and have no apparent ability to understand how important integrity and respect are. Small stuff? Perhaps to you, but not to me. If you do not know what I am talking about, check the archives about the Darius Miles incident.

To this day these men think that the pathway to connecting to the fans is by putting the responsibility on the player's shoulders. Their answer? "Get them into the community". Sure, this is nice, but it happens anyway and it is NOT what the problem is. Steve Patterson, John Nash and Paul Allen need to take a good long look in the mirror and decide if they themselves have any intentions of following their own advice. Until management stops pointing their fingers at the team and starts pointing it at themselves, the Blazer franchise will continue it's fall from grace.

Because of this, I am struggling with how to support a team that I am proud of, yet not their management. The only thing I have is the $$ I pay for season tickets. I also have the $$ I spend on merchandise and bringing others to games and what they spend on merchandise. I can watch the team play on TV or listen on radio. This is what I am doing. I am not renewing my ticket contract. I am not dragging people to games. I am not buying merchandise. I took the flag down from in front of my house. Yes, we were "those" people. I feel like I have broken out of a bad relationship and am trying to find a way to remain friends. It will be a process.

Until then, I will continue to blog about the Blazers and my thoughts and experiences about them. I am not blind or refusing to see the good things that are there. Outlaw and Telfair are doing a decent job. I hope their confidence is not ruined in the process. I enjoy seeing Damon making the best of a disastrous situation. I love what I see from Przybilla. The sacrifice Theo is giving is well noted. Richie Frahm also deserves credit for his efforts in such a STUPID scenario. Reef? I bet his bags are packed already. He has been a great sport through it all.

I miss Ruben terribly. He should have been this year's Blazer MVP or even the league MIP.
I wonder if he will even be allowed to play. My guess is no or minimally. Seriously, why risk winning by playing Rube? That doesn't follow the plan.

Yes, I am bitter. I am angry. I am frustrated and I feel taken advantage of. I do not trust Blazer management or ownership any longer. My trust in them has been broken and it is going to take a LOT to earn it back. I never dreamed that the guys on the team would be forced to blow a season. I said it. I believe it. By purposely not playing the best players, Steve Patterson, John Nash and Paul Allen have effectively put the Blazers into a position that everyone KNOWS they can not be competitive for anything but the lottery. It's dirty and I do not support it.

This is where I am.
Free Hit Counters
Free Hit Counter