Google

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Blazers need a group hug

Last night on the way home from the game I was listening to the post game show. Joel Przybilla was interviewed and asked what he thought might be the problem, why the Blazers are seemingly "without swagger". Joel's response caught my attention, he said "we're pulling apart". He tried to adjust his words by following up with "we're still a team", then he went on to say "guys are going off and doing their own thing on D" (OK-I paraphrased this one because I can't remember it verbatim) still, it is pretty much what Joel said. He did continue and say that he feels they can pull things back together and still make a run for the playoffs. He said they need to get their confidence back.

I want to say something about Joel saying "we're pulling apart". The way this was said indicated to me that Joel feels that the closeness of the team has waned. This is understandable. Guys went their own ways for the all star break. Team confidence was seriously wounded when AI hit the winning shot February 4th. I think a lack of confidence can affect how the team interacts with each other. It all matters.

A LOT can be said about a team that is made up of "friends" versus "talented players". When you have both, the result is a 13 game winning streak. I also firmly believe that James Jones is a key component to the team. It isn't just his 3's, he is a very good defender and he helps spread the floor which helps the Blazers find, and make, shots. The guys found their swagger with James on the floor, they lost it when he left. James Jones is our "X" factor.

I'd like to see the guys find a way to win without him, and they will, but I don't expect the magic to return until 1. The guys buddy up and 2. James Jones is suited up to play.

I think a group hug is in order. It's time for some male bonding! ;)

GO BLAZERS!

P.S. Game pics from Blazers-Sac are HERE.
Free Hit Counters
Free Hit Counter